Google+

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Ribbons of Zucchini & Pasta with Pine Nuts


Ribbons of lemony zucchini and pasta, topped with pine nuts and grated Parmesan tasted as fresh and fabulous as a spring day. Just a few simple ingredients made this wonderful supper in about 15 minutes. I served this dish with toasted Italian bread with garlic butter - abbondanza!

This dish is my contribution to Sweetnicks ARF/5-A-Day Tuesday (ARF=Antioxidant Rich Food). Zucchini provides us with Vitamins A and C and contains potassium and calcium. So eat it up!

Here's the recipe:
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
3 zucchini, ends removed, cut in half, and then into thin ribbons
1-2 tsp fresh lemon juice
2 tbsp creme fraiche
2-3 tbsp vegetable stock
8 oz wide ribbon pasta (I used wide egg noddles), cooked

Cook the pasta per directions. While pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a non-stick skillet, add the onion and cook for 4 minutes over low heat. Add the zucchini strips and cook an additional four minutes, stirring gently. Add the fresh lemon juice, creme fraiche, and vegetable stock and cook for 2 minutes. Add the cooked ribbons of pasta and stir until well mixed. Serve topped with toasted pine nuts and grated Parmesan.

+ +

5 Comments:

Blogger Alanna Kellogg said...

I've been wanting to do the zucchini ribbson ... however AS pasta versus WITH pasta. Still hmm ... this looks GREAT! Maybe I should be ready for Plan B ...

5:09 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Alanna,

I think that would work, particularly if you had the right tool for the ribbons (I was just using a knife so my aren't very uniform). You'd want to really watch the cooking time though - I think they'd need to have some crunch to be really good.

Try it and let us know!

6:37 PM  
Blogger the chocolate doctor מרת שאקאלאד said...

Catherine, this looks wonderful. It's another two months until we get fresh local zucchini here, but I will have this in mind.

We used to make "pasta" out of zucchini at a place where I used to work. We used one of those Japanese rotational spiral shredding tools. I don't remember if they have a name.

I am very happy to find this blog.

8:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry, Catherine! As soon as we start getting zucchini from our garden I'm giving this one a try!

7:15 AM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Chocolate lady - thanks for visiting and the tool tip!

Hi Ivonne - I've planted zucchini for the first time - I hope to enjoy some homegrown too!

9:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home