Google+

Sunday, May 28, 2006

Portobellos Stuffed with Lentils, Stilton, & Walnuts


My first contribution to Something In Season's Great Lentil Challenge!

I felt like I was out on limb with these...but they were sublime. Of course, Stilton and walnuts are happy together, but what happens when you throw in their French cousins, the haute Lentils du Puy? They loved each other! And the ports were the perfect way to bring them all together.

These were a spontaneous kitchen creation that totally worked. I was planning on making another lentil recipe, but then had this idea for lentil stuffed ports and couldn't get it out of my mind. I was thinking they'd be good with pesto, but the Stilton was calling to me as I finished the lentils off in a little red wine. It just so happens that yesterday, I picked up a newly discovered item from Trader Joe's that further pushed me towards the Stilton: Roasted Walnut Oil. Forget the basil, my albion cook said, there's so much time for those summery basil recipes.

This recipe ended up being totally fantastic. The ports were rich and moist, the walnuts added crunch, the lentils added texture and substance, and the Stilton was rich and creamy. I have to admit, I didn't measure anything, so measurements are approximate.

Portobellos Stuffed with Lentils, Stilton, & Walnuts:

1/2 cup lentils du Puy
1 bay leaf
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tbsp red wine
1 tsp walnut oil
salt & pepper
1/2 large tomato, chopped
chopped walnuts
2-3 oz Stilton, crumbled

6 Stuffing Portobellos (about 1-1/2" diameter, T. Joes sells packs as stuffing ports)
Olive oil
Balsamic vinegar

Preheat oven to 400. Cook lentils du Puy with bay leaf in a small amount of water until tender (about 20 minutes). Drain and return to the saucepan. Add the garlic, red wine and walnut oil and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Add the tomato, walnuts, and Stilton and stir until well mixed.

Stem and peel (if desired) Portobellos. Lightly brush bottom and sides with olive oil, place in an oven proof dish, and pour tiny bit of red wine and baslamic vinegar into cups. Pile up with lentil mixture and top with any leftover Stilton crumbs. Bake for 18-20 minutes.


Tagged with:

7 Comments:

Blogger Susan Voisin said...

These look fantastic! And I don't even know what Stilton tastes like! LOL This is such a great idea. (My lentil recipe should be ready to post tomorrow, but it's not half as creative as yours.)

2:10 PM  
Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Catherine, I think this sounds just wonderful.

2:33 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Susan,

I think it would work well with vegan pesto and feta and pinenuts too! Stilton is tangy and smooth. I'm looking forward to your lentil post!

Hi Kalyn -they were very good. I almost feel like having them again!

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is so timely! I've got the vegetarian son, who just graduated from college, coming to visit for a couple of days. I think he will love these and I have everything on hand except the ports and those are at the store just 3 blocks away. Instead of Stilton I'll be using Rogue Creamery Oregonzola which I highly recommend. They also have a very good smokey blue and their butter is divine. Living in Oregon is almost as good as living in the Bay Area

6:42 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the Oregon cheese tips and congrats to your son!

I'd love to hear more about your local Oregon fooderies!

6:54 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

That's the ticket: I could tell you were just winging it, recipe wise, but I could also tell you were creating a real winner. I'm impressed.

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious. I would never have thought of using lentils. Definitely going to give this go as frankly I don't think you can ever have enough Stilton. Although I have stuffed mushrooms with goats cheese before and that was pretty yummy too.

5:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home