Google+

Saturday, April 29, 2006

Spicy Red Lentil Soup with Cilantro



Hot, delicious, and healthy! This Spicy Red Lentil soup with Cilantro definitely meets the criteria for a Give Me Strength soup!

Give Me Strength Soup has three requirements:
1. Lots of protein (to give you physical strength)
2. Spiciness and heat (to rekindle your warrior spirit)
3. Color (to remind you that life is art)

The soup is also economical, easy, and fast.

Here's the recipe:
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1 large carrot, chopped small
1 small potato, peeled and chopped small
2 -3 cups of vegetable stock
1 cup red lentils
2 cups water
3-4 nacho slices of jalapeno, chopped
1/2 bunch cilantro, leaves only, chopped
salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan and cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the cumin, coriander, carrot, and potato and cook stirring for about a minute. Add the vegetable stock, 1 cup water and the red lentils. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are tender. Check about half way through and add the remaining cup of water and the jalapenos. Add more water/vegetable stock if the lentils absorb too much of the water. Adjust the seasonings and stir in the cilantro right before serving.

+ +

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks delicious! The ingredients are all the things I love--so I need to get some red lentils and make that. Beautiful picture. I like the red background.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Dori said...

I just got a bunch of little split red lentils. I am going to try this soup. I have never used fresh cliantros, but I jotted the recipe for your sauce (posted awhile back) down and as soon as my plant gets bigger I'm making it!

3:51 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Sher - thanks for your visit. Get the split red lentils (actually orange) for a quick cook. I saw some unsplit red lentils in a store yesterday and the cooking time would be twice as long.

Hi Dori - Cilantro is probably my favorite herb. You either love it or hate it.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home