Google+

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Sausages, Heinz Baked Beans, and Mashed Pototoes


So for last night's dinner, I went with classic English comfort food: sausages, baked beans, and mashed potatos. It's not the prettiest of dishes, but it is satisfying, fast, and tasty. The sausages are Morningstar's sausage links from the freezer and were prepared in the microwave in a couple of minutes. They were very good and we ate them with a hot mustard. Two links have 90 calories, 3g of fat, 9g of protein — that's a good deal.


The Heinz baked beans are English childhood friends of mine. (You may know them from a silly Monty Python skit or two. ) These yummy beans in tomato sauce are perhaps at their most delicious with mashed potatoes, but they're also:
  • Excellent on buttered toast ( a great kids meal)

  • Fabulous with fried eggs and "bacon"

  • Sensational cold as a salad side dish

  • Delish on top of a baked potato

  • Heinz baked beans are a very popular food in Britain (apparently 1.5 M cans are eaten there each day) and are popular at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Happily, they are also very good for you - high in protein and iron and fat-free.

    Even the mashed potatos were fast. I had a frozen pack of Alexia Yukon Gold Creamy Mashed Potatoes & Sea Salt in my freezer and these were ready in 6-7 minutes in the microwave. Unlike every other mashed potato product I've tried, these taste great! No weird sediment and they taste like mashed potatoes. Not as good as from scratch, but pretty darn close.

    3 Comments:

    Blogger Sam said...

    In very un-English fashion I DETEST baked beans and always have. As I kid I always had tinned spaghetti on toast whilst my sister was eating baked beans.

    2:39 PM  
    Blogger Catherine said...

    Oh Sam -you're a worm eater ;-)

    3:29 PM  
    Blogger Dori said...

    I recieved your tag, but I read your blog before you sent it so I knew it was coming. I am preparing my responses now. I am a cookbook junkie too.

    Canned beans, a humble meal. I'm sure the gal at the "bread and butter" could have given you a tune and a fairy tale quote to make it seem like the most elegant meal ever. Can you tell I've been visiting your side bar links too?

    9:24 PM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home