Google+

Saturday, March 04, 2006

Chik'n Fajitas



My first fajitas! Made with Morningstar Farms Chik'n Strips, I was tipped off to this newer product by Jennifer over at The Vegan Lunchbox, who used the Morningstar Farms Steak Strips to make Cornish Pasties. The strips are found (with some difficulty here) in the freezer section.

Unlike most of Morningstar's products, the two versions of the Meal Starter Strips are vegan. The key to a good result is fast, hot cooking. The package directions are very specific cook no more than 2-3 minutes or the strips lose their texture.

I was pretty stunned at first -- these really tasted like chicken. So much so that I had to take a moment and make sure I was ok with them even though I knew they weren't flesh. I got myself together and the fajitas were wonderful. I'll be trying these in other recipes and start steeling myself to use the Steak version.

To make the fajitas (for two):

2 green peppers, sliced
1 large onion, thinly sliced
2 tomatoes, cut into eight
1 tablespoon oil
1/2 bag of Chik'n Strips
salt and pepper
cilantro
salsa
sour cream
grated cheddar
guacamole (I just used avocado, lime juice and salt, mashed with a fork)
tortillas (warmed and wrapped in cloth to keep warm)


Heat the oil in a grill pan over medium-high heat and fry the green peppers for four minutes (I tidily "flip" them around with tongs). Then add the onion and tomatoes and cook a further three minutes. Season and remove to a bowl. Add the Chik'n Strips and heat quickly for no more than 2-3 minutes, adding the veggies back in for the last 30 seconds. Serve in warmed tortillas with cilantro, salsa, sour cream, grated cheddar, and guacamole.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifershmoo said...

That's exactly how I felt when I first tasted them -- "Gee, these are a little *too* real!"

Glad you liked them!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Fiber said...

I was wondering how the chik'n strips tasted. I almost picked them up at the grocery store today, but wasn't sure if they would be edible or not.
Now I'll have to give them a try.

9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home