Google+

Monday, February 20, 2006

Black Beans & Pico de Gallo



This weekend I was lucky enough to see Jacques Pepin making pico de gallo on his fast food show on PBS . I was amazed to find how very similar our recipes are. I always felt like a cheat because I use Pace Picante salsa as a base for mine. I was pleasantly surprised to see Jacques using organic ketchup as his base! We both add chopped tomatoes, onions, cilantro, and jalapeno, but Jacques also added garlic and cumin. I like to add fresh corn when it's in season.

One of my fast food dinner recipes is black beans with pico de gallo. It's hearty, healthy, and satisfying and can be made in a matter of minutes. Make a meal of it by serving it with quesadillas and tortilla chips. When I want to make it heartier, a cup of cooked rice hits the spot.

One 15 oz can organic black beans (I like Trader Joes)
Pico de gallo - use proportions of the above based on your own taste
Guacamole - I mash avocado, add finely chopped white onion, jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, and salt
Sour cream

Drain the beans into a saucepan and heat gently with a little salsa. Top with pico de gallo, guacamole, and sour cream. Serve with tortilla chips and quesadilla.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home