Google+

Monday, May 30, 2011

Spinach, Garlic & Basil Soup


The inspiration for this wonderfully smooth and zesty soup was "food as medicine". To minimalize the severity and duration of a serious head cold was my culinary challenge. Garlic and lots of it, was my answer.

Actually, spring garlic and lots of it. Spring garlic is immature garlic that has a bulb, and has a milky, milder flavor than fully matured garlic. I found mine at the Farmer's Market:

I have to say, I think it's rather lovely.

Usually to offset a cold, I go for sinus-busting jalapeno. Perhaps it was the "warding off evil" quality of garlic that made it spring (ha!) to mind. Although garlic is, perhaps, better known as an anti-bacterial and an immune system enhancer, it is also said to have anti-viral properties.

What's great about this soup is that it requires very little time to prepare, is soothing, and easy on the stomach. It tastes and feels very healthy... in a good way.

I made a small batch and ate it for my first meal, so the following recipe produces about 6 cups. It's also one of those recipes you can rift on forever. I'm going to try adding some Indian flavors too. I thought the bright green color would fade, but it's still going strong. Lovely.

Spinach, Garlic & Basil Soup:

1 TBS olive oil
3 bulbs of spring garlic
32 oz vegetable broth
salt
black pepper
14 oz organic spinach
basil as desired ( I used 1/3 cup)


Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed large saucepan. Chop the spring garlic bulbs, removing any papery skin. Saute the garlic over medium low heat for 5 minutes. Add the vegetable broth, cover, and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook for 10-15 minutes. Add the salt, black pepper and spinach and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the basil and cook for one minute. Remover from the heat and use an immersion blender to blend. Taste and adjust salt and pepper as needed.

Enjoy!

14 Comments:

Anonymous technology news said...

looks tasty and healthy!! thx for the great recipe.

10:58 PM  
Anonymous hosting said...

WOW!

I love basil. Its smell great. This is interesting menu :D

11:00 PM  
Anonymous thailand hotel said...

Spinach

Garlic

Basil

Wow ! This is aroma menu. ^ ^

11:03 PM  
Anonymous Thomas Barban said...

Nice recipe!

6:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love garlic and basil. What a fantastic idea (and brilliant color). Thanks for the recipe!

11:44 AM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Very nice blog! I am thinking I'll have to try a variation of this soup to use some of my garlic scapes... Thank you for sharing!

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Telebrands said...

This spinach, garlic and basil soup sounds great. The striking green color is wonderful.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Selena said...

This is a great recipe. Going to try it out!

7:33 PM  
Anonymous jorjettecelestine said...

It is definetly delicious. I have my own basil and garlic, so I should try to find some fresh spinach.

Thank you for idea!

3:21 PM  
Anonymous Recipe Contests said...

Katherine,

This sounds so good. I'm assuming you used fresh basil (anything else would be a sin).?.

I'm also thinking it would be interesting to try with kale which is more available here, in the south.

Erin

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Poorvi said...

Wow - I can imagine this would smell so great. Will have to try it this week!

1:56 PM  
Blogger FJKramer said...

I love green (spring) garlic and this sounds delish. My favorite head cold blaster is hot and sour soup, though

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Tomato said...

uhmm yummm, love it!

11:54 PM  
Anonymous NASHVILLE CONVENTION CENTER said...

WAO Well worth to read this article, Thanks in the name of all your visitors!

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home