Google+

Thursday, March 22, 2007

Asparagus Frittata



Asparagus and eggs are a fabulous couple!

This Asparagus Frittata was inspired by an auspicious, and totally unplanned, meeting with a fabulous local foodie couple...well, trio actually, with the world's cutest dog, Beansprout.

Mum and I were grabbing a quick salad lunch, sitting outside at a sunny table, when suddenly I realized that, seated at the next table, was none other than cookiecrumb, Cranky, and Beansprout. Cookiecrumb is the genius behind I'm Mad and I Eat. When I think of asparagus pairings, I think of the photo from cookiecrumb's post It's Spring, Dammit of Asparagus on Toast with a Fried Egg.

Although my introduction to the frittata was as a dish to use up aging vegetables and leftover rice or noodles, this tasty version with asparagus, green garlic, and Parmesan was elegant and full with the fresh taste of Spring.

I found this wonderful recipe by Joyce Goldstein at the CUESA (Center for Urban Education about Sustainable Agriculture) website (CUESA manage the Ferry Plaza Farmers Market in San Francisco). This is the first frittata I've baked and it worked out beautifully. A little flour helped add body and stability, but I had a little too much asparagus in relation to custard for my appetizer-sized triangles, so some fell apart. This is definitely the frittata recipe I'll be using for future variations. Easy and fabulous! The green garlic was sensational here.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Nothing says spring like asparagus! I make asparagus frittatas in spring as well, with fresh thyme from the garden, a bit of red onion, and a couple of woodsy mushrooms. Yum.

4:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! I love asparagus. I am usually so boring with it...just make them by themselves. Not any longer! :)

5:47 AM  
Blogger MeloMeals said...

What a fun meeting!... also, beautifu picture as usual..

1:36 PM  
Blogger cookiecrumb said...

Oh, wow! How cool is that? I'm famous!
Your frittata looks perfect, and yes, eggs and asparagus are the perfect pagan pairing -- rich with promise and rebirth.
Thanks for the tip on the CUESA recipes!

2:14 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Lydia - hmmm this sounds like a great combo. I thiin mushrooms are a great pairing, but the thyme sounds wonderul!

Chris - I never did anything exciting with asparagus until I started this blog!

Melody - thanks!

cookie - yep..you're famous! and with Beansprout...golly...geez...damn!

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious, I love how vibrant the green is against the pale yellow of the eggs. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

5:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home