Google+

Saturday, September 16, 2006

South of the Border Couscous Salad

mex_couscous_8782

If you love Mexican flavors and couscous, you'll love this tasty South of the Border Couscous Salad!

Couscous is combined with black beans, onions, red peppers, corn, cilantro, jalapeno, garlic and lime juice for a hearty salad. A great potluck dish and super easy to make!

The original recipe was in the September 2006 Vegetarian Times in their One-Dish Dinners section. There was also a recipe for Greek Rice Salad that I'll be making before it gets too chilly.

We loved this recipe - a nice take on our favorite Mexican black beans! I adapted the recipe slightly adding a red pepper and increasing the cilantro. The original recipe called for roasted garlic-flavored olive oil which I didn't have, so I used a minced clove of fresh garlic blended in with the salt and extra virgin olive oil.

South of the Border Couscous Salad (adapted from Vegetarian Times):

1 package plain couscous
1/2 tsp cumin
15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup fresh corn kernels
1/2 cup red onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

dressing:
Juice of one large lime
1/2 tsp salt
1 large garlic clove, minced
2-3 tbsp olive oil

Cook the couscous per package directions.

Add the cumin, black beans, and chipped vegetables and herbs.

Whisk together the dressing ingredients and pour over couscous. Stir gently until the dressing is well distributed.

13 Comments:

Blogger Kalyn Denny said...

Hey, I love the sound of this. Couscous is not on South Beach, but I'm thinking barley would be good.

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From Dianne

Wow! Looks gorgeous Catherine .. if only I could eat couscous still! I usually sub couscous with rice, so may well try this with rice instead of couscous

Dianne :)

1:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! Couscous every day for me, I do not mind at all!

4:08 PM  
Blogger Catherine said...

Hi Kalyn - I'd love to hear how that barley version works out.

Dianne - it would be great with rice (I almost used rice instead myself)

Bea - I'm with you. Couscous for breakfast is my next plan!

8:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to love cous cous [before having to go gluten-free] but this inspires me to try a similar flavor approach to quinoa. Could work?!

6:37 PM  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Catherine & Karina - Love this dish! I make something similar with quinoa quite often. Check it out here and be sure to try the avo-horseradish sauce too - a perfect compliment!

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this looks so much like the confetti couscous I make. I like the idea of the southwestern flavors though! YUM!

11:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home